Winter can be hard on your home, so spring is the perfect time to make important repairs. Not only can repairs beautify your home, but they can also help you avoid more expensive work later.
Let’s start at the top!
- Check roof shingles and your chimney.
- Snow, ice, freezing, and thawing can damage roof shingles causing them to buckle or loosen. Missing or damaged shingles should be replaced by a qualified roofer to prevent further water damage. Ask your roofer if he or she is also qualified to inspect your chimney for cracks and to fill/repair them as needed.
- Clean and inspect gutters.
- Clogged or damaged gutters can let water seep into walls or get into the basement instead of directing it away from the home. Clean debris from gutters and downspouts and replace damaged sections.
- Fix concrete cracks.
- Cracks in concrete driveways and pool decks can worsen over time. To prevent further damage, and avoid tripping hazards, power-wash the area and then seal with crack filler or silicone caulk.
- Service AC units.
- Air conditioning units get a workout during the summer, so use the spring to get them ready. A qualified HVAC technician can clean the system to help operate more efficiently. You should also prune nearby plants that could block airflow.
- Paint touchup.
- Touching up cracked or peeling paint not only makes your home look better but protects it from the elements as well. While inspecting outer walls for paint needs, also check for wall damage or openings that developed over the winter and ask a licensed contractor to repair them.
Spring is also a great time to spruce up your homeowner’s insurance. As your home changes, your insurance needs to change as well. Contact your Hyland Insurance Agent to make sure your home insurance grows with you!